Thursday, October 21, 2010

To Gym or Not To Gym?


So this was me this morning, heading out to the gym on a chilly and raining morning.  Not a completely amazing thing but I used the rain as an excuse not to go on Tuesday so I considered it a victory.

A bigger victory however was me running 3 miles straight at 12 minutes each!  That’s huge for me.  I try to run but its not totally regular and when running outside I usually manage two miles in about 30 minutes and have never done more than about 1 1/2 miles at 12 minutes but today I pushed through 3 straight miles without stopping and let me just say I felt amazing after.  I was dripping sweat but definitely felt very physically strong.

Speaking of exercise...I've been utilizing a free 30 day trial at Gold's Gym which will be up at the end of the month.  If I don’t cancel it'll be 39.99 a month.  I’ve been moderately enjoying Gold’s Gym.  It’s very nice and I know I need to work out more…but I can’t justify the money.  Especially because I figured out it would cost about 35 dollars a month in gas to go to the gym downtown.  I was worried about the cost but then I found a deal at Costco where you can join 24 Hour fitness for 2 years for only 300 dollars which is only 12.50 a month (though I’ve never been inside 24 hour fitness so I cant say if their equipment or location is nice).   Although even with that one I realized I’d have to factor in the cost of gas, something I don’t think a lot of people consider.

So I’ve decided that once my trial is up I’m not going to keep going.  I’m just going to work on running more outdoors and try to adapt some strength moves inside the house without equipment.  It’ll be a new challenge!

2 comments:

  1. WTG on running!! I have been trying to do the c25k, but I have the worst knees so most of the time I just speed walk. I would def. get away from Gold's as soon as your trial is up. I had the same thing and decided to stay on afterward with a year contract worst decision. While I loved the classes they offered it was always busy and you had to get there almost an hour early to get a spot, also halfway through the year they tell me that I had to pay a 50 dollar gym maintenance fee to keep up the equipment! I mean I was already paying like 40 dollars a month and then they wanted me to hand over another 50 it was insane. I now attend planet fitness for 10 bucks a month with no contract which is great. If you like to run and do more workouts at the house I think your def. making the right move by not going back you will save a ton of money that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I had a gym membership a few years ago and while there were things I liked about it (and would enjoy having now) I just don't think its worth it. Plus contracts are no good!

    Well I've heard a lot of reports that walking is just as beneficial as running, I just started trying it because my fiance likes to run and realized its a good stress reliever for me.

    ReplyDelete