Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fitness Review - The Wii and the Wii Fit

I feel great when I work out, but the truth is there are a lot of excuses not to – its too hot, too cold, too windy, too early, too late, too dark, etc…

I could join a gym, but I tried that once; the fees are outrageous for a struggling college student.  I did a trial run at the local gym and while I enjoyed it I realized that the quick drive to the gym about 7 minutes from my house was costing me almost 10 dollars in gas a week!  (Something I bet a lot of people don’t consider)  That meant my monthly fee essentially doubled.

While I love walking or jogging outside, the weather definitely doesn’t always permit.  Also living in a tiny space has meant that it is impossible to do a lot of work out videos.

Then I got a Wii.

(mine however is a fantastic red)

I am in love.


The Wii Fit is fantastic.  For someone like me who loves charts and graphs and goals it is amazing.  It calculates your weight and BMI any time you want to do your body test and then tracks it on a graph for you to see your progress (and it lets you set time goals for weight loss and fitness).

There are also virtual personal trainers and fitness tips.  Even more exciting (and practical), the Wii Fit will log together all the exercises you do in a single day to let you know how much exercise time you’ve accumulated.  It also lets you know how many calories you burn.

It’s really cool not just from a weight loss perspective too.  It’s a VERY fun way to get your body moving.  It also helps you see your improvement because it records your scores for games.  I’ve also realized I have even worse balance than I knew thanks to the Wii Fit board which tracks balance on many games.

For me, the Wii and the Wii Fit are very practical - small in size and doesn’t require a lot of room to play, the cost is actually fairly low compared to a gym (especially because everyone in your house can use it), it’s incredibly fun, its motivating and it helps you stay on track.

I’ve tried other games on the Wii like Wii Sports (a separate game from Wii fit) and those are also tons of fun, and while it’s not the same as running a marathon I can definitely get my heart rate up playing tennis or baseball if you really get into it.

All in all, a great buy!


No comments:

Post a Comment