Sunday, December 5, 2010

I often find eating out difficult; partly because of the cost and largely because I'm always worried about the healthfulness of ingredients (and overall calories).

For my grandparent's 71st birthday we went out to an Irish pub last night for dinner.  I ended up getting an Irish Cobb salad which originally would have been very high fat but I skipped the corned beef (extra turkey instead) and got the ranch on the side and it was very healthy and super tasty!  I find that salads with higher fat ingredients (like bacon, blue cheese or avocado) are so incredibly flavorful I barely use 1/2 TBS of dressing if that.




My number 1 eating out tip...ask for what you want!  restaurants can and will make almost any substitutions if you ask and are very specific about your requests.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Man I love Irish Cobb Salad!! The Corned Beef does kill the points though so good for you for resisting! I used to hate eating out before as well, until I realized that most places will make things to your request if you simply ask nicely. I even know a couple restaurants here that will make me things not even on the menu if they have the ingredients for it... I so couldn't have left that pub without a beer though!! And they are not so point friendly anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I'm a huge cobb salad fan. My mom had this amazing looking Sheppards pie and my grandma had a rich stew with bread but I honestly loved my food.

    There were so many hard things to resist!

    ReplyDelete