Monday, December 20, 2010

Maintaining your Wallet, Waistline, (and Sanity!) this Holiday Season

The Holiday season is a joyful, wonderful time of year.  It's also busy and stressful for many of us which often leads  people to stray from healthy eating.  Whether its succumbing to temptation (there seems to be sweets everywhere this time of year) or just being too busy to plan ahead and seeking the convenience of fast food or eating out, many of us find ourselves gaining a few pounds around this time of year.

The one piece of advice I have; take 10 minutes for yourself.  This truly is a wonderful time of year, and giving and thinking of others is often at the top of the the priority list but its important to remember that we can only take care of others when we take care of ourselves first.

So think twice before having seconds of that dessert if you know you wont feel good after.  Or take 10 minutes in the morning to pack yourself a healthy meal or even just a few snacks if you know you're going to be out all day.  The best way to avoid temptation to be prepared!  Take for example my lovely little lunch I've packed for today, because my mom and I will be gone all day and I know its going to be crowded and busy and if I plan now I know I wont be tempted later.


Top tips:
  • pack food - a lunch if you can but even a few snacks is great.  Besides the wait for eating out is so long this time of year ythat your wallet, waistline and stomach will all thank you for skipping the drive through.
  • Never let yourself get too hungry.  Resistence to temptation is weakened when you're starving, and no one makes clear decisions (whether it be food or christmas shopping decisions) on an empty stomach. 
  • Drink plenty of water.  It's easy to rush around from party to party, store to store, or just lock yourself in your house wrapping and forget that at least 8 glasses of water a day will leave you hydrated, clear headed and ready to face anything that comes your way.
  • Before buying anything this time of year - from a sweet roll to a purse - stop and ask yourself if you need it or the person you're buying for truly needs it.  Many of us get caught up in the hustle and bustle and get carried away spending more money than we have or eating more than our tummies can hold.  It's certainly ok to splurge this time of year, just stop and ask yourself if you'll regret it before making any rash decisions.
  • Enjoy every moment!  The Holidays only come once a year, so make the most of them.

4 comments:

  1. Great advice. It really doesn't take that long to make yourself something healthy & delicious to pack for your day. Then you get exactly what you want without standing in line to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that comment was actually from the princesa's Mom . I thought I was signed in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you had packed up I never thing to make stuff like that... I always pack sandwiches and soup, but I love all of that stuff... It will def. be a great idea for things to pack up and take to class with me in Jan.... Thanks!! Great advice as well.. people forget to stop and take a breathe during the Holiday season and it can be really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to pack little lunches like that sometimes because all the variety really makes me feel more satisfied and it takes a long time to eat.

    :)

    ReplyDelete