Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cooking - An Early Thanksgiving Meal

I wanted to make my fiance and I something delicious and comforting for dinner tonight so I made roasted turkey breast with gravy, green beans with bacon and onion, and baked potatoes with light sour cream and green onions.



I took some pictures to share how I made the green beans, something I'm always surprised to learn people have never tried!

First you dice up the bacon and cook all the way through.  Do not cook it with the onion or it wont get crispy.  I only used about 1 piece of bacon for two very large servings of fresh green beans.  You could obviously use more but a little goes a long way for flavor.


Next step is to take out all the bacon and bacon grease (essentially draining the bacon).  Then you're going to want to dice up the onion about the same size as the bacon.  I do about 1/2 an onion for every two people.  I also use vegetable broth to help cook the onions because one key step is that the onions cannot be crunchy in this recipe they need to be well cooked before you add the green beans back in.






Next you're going to add in your green beans.  You can use canned if you want/need.  I personally think fresh make a world of difference but its all availability and preference.  I used fresh (so obviously I boiled them first).


Season to taste with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. You definitely want to let this cook for 15-20 minutes to let the flavors meld.

The last step is to add the bacon just before serving.  If you add it earlier it will get soggy and chewy and look raw.





The last step....enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good!!! I love green beans done that way they get great flavor!! We did our Turkey Day early this year while my brother was home on leave, and our Turkey came out amazing!! Don't you just love good food lol.

    ReplyDelete